• Author

Odhran
    Keymaster

As a previous assistant psychologist to Social Anxiety Ireland, I was delighted to be offered the opportunity to begin a Social Anxiety follow-up support group in Galway. The concept was simple: source a discreet, comfortable space for a monthly evening meeting for those in the West of Ireland who had completed the programme with Social Anxiety Ireland.
    I have met with many groups to discuss the possibility of renting a room: existing mental health services, Universities, community resource centres, schools, local churches… the list is endless, as are the barriers. Existing mental health services (understandably) have stringent clinical governance criteria which results in a minimum waiting period of 9-months; Universities require research to be conducted through the group, which, for a 2.5 hour monthly meeting with a small group is unrealistic; community resource centres require staff to remain on the premises after hours and are, to date, unwilling to facilitate this request; schools are concerned with Public Liability and the potential for accidents; and local church community rooms have lengthy waiting lists.
    One of the most difficult elements of the Assistant Psychologist position with Social Anxiety Ireland was repeatedly informing potential group members that we were the only such service in Ireland and for some, participation in the programme required lengthy trips to Dublin. I now have a greater appreciation for why this is the case! The obstacles I have faced may help explain why there are so few services for people with Social Anxiety. Nonetheless, it is my firm belief that there is a room somewhere in Galway City and I look forward to continuing the support offered by Social Anxiety Ireland.

Odhran
    Keymaster

I have to agree; there are far too few services in Ireland for the effective treatment of social anxiety. And only too may people in dire need of such services. I would be delighted to hear from anyone with any knowledge of effective treatments for social anxiety that is available in Ireland. Either individual work or group work or internet based interventions. The key word here would be ‘effective’. What, if anything, have people found to be helpful?

Noel
    Participant

Hi all im new here, i was at a group in jigsaw in Galway but unfortunately i was the only one that showed up so i was told it was canned the following week total let down after making the effort and i have not heard anything to follow up i tough that was unfair. I know the budget is not their for one on one but i should of still counted for something.

n7dav
    Participant

Hi please tell me that this is available to people who have not done the group in dublin. its just not possible for me to travel up to dublin every week. I have being e-mailing organizers of the dublin group for years about a group nearer to me. I’m really desperate to beat this social anxiety which has ruined my life i would appreciate it if i could join this group. please help me thanks

Sammy
    Participant

Hi
    This is a cry for help alongside the many already being made here!

I am approaching 50 and have only in the past year self-diagnosed SA as my problem, thanks to sites such as this. It is a fantastic resource and Odhran you deserve much credit. As do the posters for support and assistance. It’s amazing how helpful it is to validate the condition. For years I just thought I was different, didn’t feel at ease in any social situation, drank to conceal my awkwardness. Over analysed everything to death. Doctors and therapists disregarded any possibility that my problem might be related to a condition, or a disorder. Much easier to just label it abuse related. Chicken and egg I say.

I am wondering if there is any follow-up to the treatments outside of Dublin? I am in Limerick.
    Thanks
    S

red
    Participant

Hello all social anxiety sufferers in Galway. I would like to take the initiative and suggest establishing a meetup group in Galway.
    Just before you think to yourself this is not for me – I agree because thats exactly the way I think, even now as I’m typing this. I figured if I ignore it eventually I would feel less anxious and it would go away and I could start to live the life I want. I dont need to expose myself to a group of strangers.
    The truth is the thought of entering an organised group scares the shit out of me. I have been checking into this website for a while and feeling envious at those who attended the Mater Group in Dublin and reading how well they got on. I’m thinking they cannot be suffering that bad if they can go into a group like that. Exposing myself under the heading “social anxiety sufferer” fills me with absolute dread.
    If anyone is interested you can add to this post. I was thinking a relaxed pub somewhere in town. Somewhere thats easy to escape from. At least a couple of drinks will take the edge off or get a xanax or valium from your GP. If you think your suffering is unique than we all have something in common.

n7dav
      Participant

Hi i defiantly would be interested in a galway meet up

red
    Participant

Great to get a response n7dav. What I will do is wait to get a few more responses and post an email address that I can be contacted at. I dont have experience as a coordinator but I can imagine it will be just a simple hang out meet and greet to begin with. Maybe we can bounce a few ideas around and come up with some strategies between us. I can imagine just meeting up will put a big dent into the social anxiety for starters. So hope ill see a few more posts in favour

n7dav
      Participant

unfortunately this forum is not very active so you may not get any other replies. I am in a facebook group for social anxiety suffers in ireland mabye if you want i can add you, I’m not much for organizing either but maybe if there is a few interested there we could work something out

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.